Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Memphis, TN

How to Verify a Professional's License in Memphis?

Professionals in Memphis are issued relevant occupational licenses by the 25 Regulatory Boards of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. Hiring the right professional in Memphis is essential to achieve a satisfactory project outcome and also to prevent possible legal ramifications. For example, per Tennessee Code Title 62-6-120, which is applicable to all residents of Memphis, you can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor offense for engaging the services of an unlicensed contractor. Equally, contractors that offer their services to residents of the city without obtaining the required license may be found guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. You can verify the licenses of Memphis professionals through the online verification portal provided by the Department of Commerce and Insurance. Searches can be conducted via license number, licensee name, firm, or profession.

When hiring professionals for certain types of projects, such as home improvement or building projects, it is important to note that permits may be required. The Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development oversees the issuing of different types of permits in the city, which include residential building permits, commercial building permits, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, or elevator permits, special events permits, and permanent signs permits. Memphis typically requires professionals that wish to obtain these permits to register their licenses with this agency before they can do so. You can get information on the permit-issuing process by contacting the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development at (901)222-8300.

Tennessee Contractor License Search:

Do Memphis Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Memphis is divided into 7 Districts and further split into 2 Super districts. Citizens in each district elect one member per District and 3 persons from each Super District. The Memphis City Council serves as the legislative arm of the city and assists the Mayor in making decisions for the city and its inhabitants. You can find information on your district online by using the Shelby County Maps webpage. In addition, the city has a Land Use Control Board that accepts requests and applications from residents for changes in the use of property, improvements to public areas, and similar requests. Although neither of these bodies issue building or construction-related permits, the city council collects payments of fees and taxes on permits and licenses issued for certain city activities like special events, public assemblies and parades. In May 2021, the Land Use Control Board considered 18 applications from residents before making decisions which included rejecting a plan to gate one end of Saint Nick Drive and approving a 156-lot subdivision along Walnut Grove. Similar efforts are also underway to improve the architecture and the landscape within the city, with city officials, in collaboration with the Downtown Memphis Commission and the Downtown Mobility Authority, calling on developers to submit proposals for a downtown 100 Main Street redevelopment project.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Memphis?

Residents of Memphis with allegations of fraud, deceptive practices, or dangerous practices may submit a complaint to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs. These complaints can be filed online, or by completing and submitting a complaint form via email. Alternatively, the completed complaint form may be submitted by mail to:

  • Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Tennessee Attorney General's Office
  • P.O. Box 20207
  • Nashville, TN 37202-0207

Note that the consumer complaint resolution process offered by the Division of Consumer Affairs is only a good faith remedy for disputes and this agency cannot compel a business to respond to complaints. After receiving a complaint, a consumer specialist from this office will attempt to contact the business demanding a reply within 21 days. If a response is received from the business a rebuttal by the consumer may be submitted and the mediation process is continued with the aim of resolving the conflict. However, if the business fails to respond to a complaint or you are unsatisfied with the resolution, you may pursue further action at the Memphis Small Claims Court. In certain circumstances where the Division of Consumer Affairs feels there has been a breach of the city and state consumer protection laws, formal action may be instituted against the business in partnership with the Consumer Protection Division of the state's Attorney General's Office.