Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Knoxville, TN

How to Verify a Professional's License in Knoxville?

Knoxville professionals are regulated by the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance through over 25 Regulatory Boards and Commissions. Hiring professionals licensed and regulated by any of these boards is a good way to ensure that your project is executed properly. You should note that for certain projects, hiring an unlicensed professional could be detrimental. For example, the Tennessee Code Title 62-6-120 makes it an offense to engage the services of an unlicensed contractor. As provided by the code, hiring an unlicensed contractor in Knoxville could attract a Class A misdemeanor charge. Also, unlicensed contractors that knowingly offer their services to Knoxville residents without obtaining the required licenses may be charged with a Class A misdemeanor offense. To protect yourself, you can check the validity of a contractor or any other professional's license by visiting the online verification portal provided by the Department of Commerce and Insurance.

Besides ensuring that your chosen professional is licensed, it is also important to ensure that all permits required for your project are obtained. Knoxville typically requires permits for constructing, repairing, or altering a structure as well as changing the use of a building, excavating, or filling of land. Permits are issued by the Building Permits and Inspections Division of the Knoxville Plans, Review, and Inspections Department, and you can make inquiries related to these permits by calling the division at (865) 215-3669.

Tennessee Contractor License Search:

Do Knoxville Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Knoxville neighborhood associations do not issue home improvement or other building-related permits. Instead, these associations and groups work with city officials to promote programs and services that could help improve the wellbeing of residents of their neighborhoods and also lead to better living standards across the city. On September 16, 2021, the Mayor, other city officials, and members of the public gathered at Caswell Park to introduce the first all-electric buses that were to be added to the Knoxville Area Transit fleet. The city had placed an order for 12 buses, with 5 of these buses already available as of the date of the announcement and 7 more to arrive before the end of the year. The introduction of these buses marks a positive step towards achieving the city's goal of reducing carbon emissions by 80% by 2050. Knoxville has also championed infrastructural development, and at least 9 large-scale development projects are underway in downtown Knoxville. Some of these projects include a six-story condominium called The Overlook, which is to be built on Hill Avenue. The old State Supreme Court site is also to be converted to a 237-unit set of apartments also featuring short-term rentals and retail outlets.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Knoxville?

Knoxville residents may report a wide range of consumer complaints, including financial-related issues or problems with consumer purchases of goods and services, to the Office of the Tennessee Attorney General's Division of Consumer Affairs. You can file these types of complaints online by filling the online complaint form provided by the Division. If you are unable to access the online complaint form, you may download and complete a consumer complaint form, which can either be submitted by email or regular mail to

  • Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Tennessee Attorney General's Office
  • P.O. Box 20207
  • Nashville, TN 37202-0207

This Division handles complaints through an informal mediation process where there is an exchange of written responses between the two parties involved. After your complaint is received, it is assigned to a consumer specialist who sends the complaint to the named business, inviting a response within 21 days. If a response is received it will be sent to you for you to review and you may provide a rebuttal if you have one. You should note that the Division cannot pursue legal action on your behalf or make a formal decision that there has been a breach of the law. The informal mediation process is meant to help each party reach an amicable resolution of a complaint as the Division cannot also compel a business to rectify a complaint. If you are unsatisfied with the complaint process you may proceed to a Knox County Small Claims Court to file an action against the business.