Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Chattanooga, TN

How to Verify a Professional's License in Chattanooga?

The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance oversees 27 regulatory and licensing boards that are responsible for issuing licenses to professionals who wish to provide services in Chattanooga. In addition to state-issued licenses, building professionals like electricians, mechanical contractors, and plumbers must also obtain licenses from the Trade Licensing Office of the Chattanooga Office of Economic and Community Development. To ensure your projects do not end up being unsatisfactory, you must hire licensed professionals with state and city-issued licenses where necessary. You can authenticate the state-issued licenses of Chattanooga professionals that you plan to engage via the license search and verification tool provided by the Department of Commerce & Insurance. Likewise, to confirm if your professionals have obtained relevant city-issued licenses, you can contact the Trade Licensing Office at (423) 643-5800.

After verifying that your intended Chattanooga professionals have valid professional licenses, you must also ensure that you obtain all necessary permits that may be required for your planned projects. Chattanooga requires you to obtain permits for construction-related projects from the Land Development Office of the city's Trade Licensing Office, and you can contact this office at (423) 643-5800 to make inquiries on the city's permitting process.

Tennessee Contractor License Search:

Do Chattanooga Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Chattanooga do not have the authorization to issue permits for building and other construction-related projects. However, the 84 neighborhood associations in the city work towards improving the livability of their respective neighborhoods. The associations also collaborate with the city to work on projects that will enhance the development of the community. In July 2020, 12 neighborhood association representatives from the Historic River-to-Ridge Area voted in support of the Area 3 Plan project during the City Council's Public Hearing. Similarly, in June 2021, EPB Chattanooga dedicated a public art mural located at its 10th Street substation. The mural, created by nine local neighborhood artists, visualized the heartbeat and soul of MLK to showcase the neighborhood's rich cultural history and present-day energy. To get information on what neighborhood associations are active in your neighborhood, as well as their meeting dates, times, and location, you can use the city's neighborhood directory and the city's calendar of events respectively.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Chattanooga?

Complaints concerning consumer fraud and unfair business practices in Chattanooga are reviewed and investigated by the Tennessee Attorney General & Reporter's Office through its Division of Consumer Affairs. You can file consumer complaints with this office by completing an online consumer complaint form. Alternatively, you can complete and mail the printable consumer complaint form, accompanied by copies of supporting documents, to the address provided at the top left corner of the form.

The Tennessee Attorney General & Reporter's Office has a complaint mediation program that provides dispute resolution to you and the subject of your complaint. This office can also file lawsuits on your behalf. However, you cannot be guaranteed restitution even after litigation. If you want to pursue private legal action, you can retain the services of a lawyer. You can get lawyer referrals in Chattanooga by contacting the Chattanooga Bar Association at (423) 756-3222 or through its online find a lawyer portal. You can also file a small claims action at the Hamilton County Court of General Sessions- Civil Division without a lawyer for matters where the money involved is not more than $25,000. Note that even though you do not need legal representation for small claims actions, it is advisable to seek legal advice on how to pursue this action. You can get this advice by contacting your retained lawyer, or by utilizing the resources made available by the Hamilton County Court of General Sessions-Civil Division.